Monday, January 20, 2014

Good Dreams Are Worth Fighting For

In honor of Martin Luther King Day. I wanted to discuss the issue of dealing with prejudice and our differences. 

It's can be very difficult at times to " keep the dream alive." When individuals poorly represent their race, creed, religion,sex or financial status or any other way to divide people, Keeping positive is tough.

I had interactions where people would play a " race card" to get their way. I have Been turned away by a minister of a church where I was to be married because his religious beliefs did not allow people of different faiths to be married. I've had the stereotypes other religions
Working in retail I have had people try to use there status, color, age to get discounts, free products or the worse make me feel like cap because I'm not them

We have a choice, let seeds of hate and anger grow a garden on evil that blooms when we meet new faces that remind us of the sad experience we had, or let the lesson of that experience teach us and give each individual no matter what they are the opportunity to show us the quality of their character.

It ain't easy. The media promotes the negative over the positive.  The I Have a Dream Speech is only played today and not everyone believes in happiness and equality for all but you have that choice.

I choose happiness how you find it with people is your choice.   The best way I can find is holding on to the positive experiences you have and have been taught to you by those who are different than you.

No comments:

Post a Comment